Specific: Delivered by the British forces in
Germany just after WW II. The trucks were all used and
went through a repair-program at Air Base Skrydstrup
(where the picture was taken) before proceeding to the
Historical: The Bedford O-series was a
commercial truck which had been launched in 1939. Based
on the OL model and militarised for service with
simplified bodywork and single rear tires it was known as
the OY-series. Early war models had wooden rear bodies
and twin headlights. Production of the civilian trucks
was discontinued soon after the outbreak of the second
The OY-series, in particular the OYD general service
truck, played a variety of roles: mobile workshop, slave
battery, office, X-ray, canteen, and carrier of troops,
horses, machine guns and supplies.
A 30 cwt (1.500 kg) truck similar in appearance was known
as the OX.
Also civilian variants of the OX and OY military chassis
were available from 1941. The OWS was a 5-ton
short-wheelbase designed for various types of body,
whilst the OWL was the long-wheelbase equivalent. The OWB
was a 32 seat bus with body by Duple. Those vehicles were
available to civilian users under the Ministry of War
The first contract calling for 5.000 30 cwt chassis and
11.000 3-tonners were signed in September 1939. The
OY-series was the most numerous British 3-tonner with
72.385 examples produced between 1940 and 1945.
Length: 6.22 m (245 inches).
Width: 2.18 m (86 inches).
Height: 3.09 m (122 inches).
Weight: 6.568 kg (14.450 lb.).
Engine: Own 6-cylinder, type WD, 3.519 cm3 (214 cubic
inches) displacement, liquid cooled.
Horsepower: 72 at 3.000 rpm.
Transfer case: None.
Electrical system: 12 volt.
Brakes: Hydraulic with vacuum servo assistance.
Tyres: 10.50 - 16.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 145 liter (32 gallons).
Range: 450 km (280 miles).
Additional: Maximum speed was around 65
Bedford OYC water tanker (30 kb)
OY Military Police