Specific: Presumably delivered from surplus
stocks in Great Britain in 1946.
Historical: A substantial percentage of
the Bedford QL chassis was fitted with house-type
bodywork (shown) for signals, command, office and other
Originally mounted on the QLC chassis/cab, special QLR
chassis were soon put into production, which differed
from the standard type in having special electrical
equipment, radio suppression, fitment of a 660 W
auxiliary generator driven by the transfer case
power-take-off and, like the QLT, two 16 gallon petrol
tanks instead of one behind the cab.
The interior furniture, partitioning and radio equipment
varied from the different functions. On vehicles
installed for the wireless role, a tent could be erected
at the rear. Between cab and man body were lockers for
aerial masts and other equipment. Beneath the body were
further lockers and racks for cable drums, batteries,
tyre chains, 20 gallon drinking water tank, rectifier
box, tools, fuel tank for the auxiliary engine, jerrycans
and other items.
The basic body shells were produced by Duple, Lagonda,
Mulliner, Tickford and others.
A revised body was introduced in during 1944 for the
Command High and Low Power and Wireless High Power roles.
This body had an improved "L"-shaped tent which
could be erected alongside the left-hand side and rear of
Length: 6.25 m (246 inches).
Width: 2.31 m (91 inches).
Height: 2.92 m (115 inches).
Engine: 6-cylinder Bedford, 3.519 cm3 (214 cubic
inches) displacement, liquid cooled.
Horsepower: 72 at 3.000 rpm.
Transmission: 4-speed gearbox.
Transfer case: 2 speed.
Electrical system: 12 volt.
Brakes: Hydraulic with vacuum servo assistance.
Tyres: 10.50 - 20.
without preparation: 0.4 m (15 inches).
with deep water fording kit: N/A.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 2 x 73 liter (2 x 16 gallons).