Specific: Delivered from British surplus stocks
after WW II.
Historical: A number of the Bedford QL
were the QLT Troop carrier, popularly known as
"Trooper" or even "Drooper". Vauxhall
Motors supplied the chassis, modified in having two
16-gallon fuel tanks, one in either side of the chassis
instead of the normal 28-gallon single tank behind the
cab, and an extended exhaust system.
The chassis went to Austin Motor Co in Longbridge,
Birmingham for further modifications before mounting the
body. These modifications included extension of the
chassis frame at the rear, and mounting of the spare
wheel below this extension.
The main body offered accommodation for 29 soldiers
including their gear. There was an anti-aircraft hatch at
the forward end of the body with a machine gun mount. For
conversion to the load-carrying role the side seats could
be folded back flat and the centre bench assembly could
be collapsed and stored under the body floor. There were
two side doors, one of either side and two large doors at
the rear. The load had to be carried as long forward as
possible to avoid steering problems.
From August 1941 and until the end of WW II more than
3.300 QLT´s were produced.
Engine: 6-cylinder Bedford, 3.519 cm3 (214 cubic
inches) displacement, liquid cooled.
Horsepower: 72 at 3.000 rpm.
Transmission: 4-speed gearbox.
Transfer case: 2 speed.
Electrical system: 12 volt.
Brakes: Hydraulic with vacuum servo assistance.
Tyres: 10.50 - 20.
without preparation: 0.4 m (15 inches).
with deep water fording kit: N/A.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 2 x 73 liter (2 x 16 gallons).
Additional: The vehicle appears to have
been modified with a house-type window over the rear axle
and a sort of basket over the cab. The modifications
indicates the use as improvised shop van or similar.