Specific: The shown Mercedes 300 was acquired in
summer 1953 for British funding and used by the commander
of the Danish forces in West-Germany (COMLANDSLESVIG).
The vehicle replaced a Ford Mercury which was returned
for national use.
Historical: The Mercedes-Benz 300 was produced
from 1951 through 1958. It was traditional in design,
built to uncompromising quality standards, and employed
the latest materials and technologies to achieve
excellent power and minimise weight.
The 300 had a tried and true conventional body-on-frame
construction which was particularly adaptable to
low-volume, high-quality manufacturing in a variety of
body styles. Utilising a cross-braced frame of oval
section tubes, the 300 employed independent front
suspension with A-arms and coil springs and
Mercedes-Benz's well-proven swing axle rear suspension,
also with coil springs. Power for the new 300 came from
the single overhead camshaft 2.996 cm3 inline
six-cylinder engine which also, with Bosch mechanical
fuel injection, powered the legendary 300SL coupe.
Most 300s were built on 120 inch wheel base chassis with
Shortly after the 300's introduction at the Frankfurt
show, Mercedes-Benz introduced a very different 300 at
the Paris Show - the 300S. It combined a shorter wheel
base with a more powerful multi-carburettor engine and
2-door coachwork in both open and closed styles. The
engine delivered 163 (SAE) horsepower at 5,000 rpm and
made the 300S an excellent performer.
Length: 4.95 m (195 inches).
Width: 1.84 m (72 inches).
Height: 1.63 m (64 inches).
Weight: 1.778 kg (3.920 lb.).
Engine: Own 6-cylinder, 2.996 cm3 (183 cubic inches),
Horsepower: 115 at 4.600 rpm.
Transfer case: None.
Electrical system: N/A.
without preparation: N/A.
with deep water fording kit: N/A.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: N/A.
Crew: 1 + 3.