Previous vehicleBack to index pageNext vehicle Unimog 404.0  

 

Unimog 404.0, 4 x 4, 24V (Front view, right side)

 
 

Front view, right side

Picture courtesy of Henrik Clausen, Copenhagen

 

Danish Army Specific: The Unimog 404 was supplied NATO-founded to the 2. and the 6. Danish Signal Battalion in late 1975/early 1976. They were used as radio relay- (shown), multiplexer- (MUX) and utility-trucks.
The shown vehicle was used by 2. (DA) Signal Battalion as part of the
AUTOKO system and housed a FM 200 UHF-radio produced by Siemens in Germany. On top of the shelter 2 TM-15 masts were mounted. The equipment was powered by a 5 kW Lister generator mounted on a trailer. The battalion had a total of 12 vehicles, 10 configured as terminals and 2 as relays.
The vehicles were totally superseded by
MAN 8.136 in the late 1990s.
Historical
: The S404-range, which was developed from the Unimog 402, was introduced in May 1955 and became the standard 1-ton vehicle in the German Bundeswehr. The 404 was essentially a military truck, and the diesel-engine used in the previous models was replaced by a petrol-engine nearly identical to the engines used in the contemporary 220 and 230 models. The 404 was initially produced as open-cabbed (S404) and closed-cabbed (S404.1).
Various body-types like ambulance, cargo, communications and fire fighting were fitted. An unusual version with double open cab and a shortened cargo bed was used for drivers training. The cab and bed was produced by Hans Glas in Dingolfing. Very few of the German vehicles were winch equipped.
The 404-chassis was used by Swedish Landswerk in 1957 to produce an armoured car. 2 prototypes and 15 production vehicles were build for the Swedish Armed Forces serving the UN in Congo, but they remained in Sweden. Ultimately the 15 production vehicles were sold to Ireland at a knock-down price.
The French became the first military users of the 404.
Besides France and Germany the model have been used by the armed forces of Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Finland, Greece, India, Jordan, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Turkey.
The 404s were replaced by the Unimog U 1300 L in the German Bundeswehr starting in 1978, but soldiered on to end of the 1990s.
When production ceased, more than 64.000 had been produced.
The shown 404.0 was introduced in the early 1970s.
Length: 5.54 m (216 inches).
Width: 2.27 m (112 inches).
Height: 3.05 m (97 inches).
Weight: 4.750 kg (10.450 lb.).
Engine
: Mercedes-Benz 6-cylinder, type M180, 2.195 cm3 (134 cubic inches) displacement, liquid cooled, carburettor.
Horsepower: 82 at 4.800 rpm.
Transmission: 6-speed.
Transfer case: Yes.
Electrical system: 24 volt, negative ground.
Brakes: Air-over-hydraulic.
Tyres: 10.00 or 10.50 - 20.
Fording depth:
without preparation: N/A.
with deep water fording kit: N/A.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 120 liter (26 gallons).
Range: 250 km (156 miles).
Crew: 1 + 1.
Additional: Differential lock in front and rear axles. Werner F64M1 SE front winch can be mounted.
Variants:
Unimog 404.0 Radio Relay (124 kb)
Unimog 404.0 MUX (92 kb)
Unimog 404.0 utility truck (71 kb)
Unimog S 404 B Ambulance (27 kb)
Unimog 404.0 Ambulance (60 kb)


Copyright 1997 - 2014 Danish Army Vehicles Homepage