of Vauxhall Motors can be traced to 1857 when Alexander
Wilson founded the Vauxhall Ironworks and set up business
as a marine engineer in Wandsworth Road, Vauxhall,
London. The company produced marine steam engines, and
rather successfully. Unfortunately Wilson, like many of
the 19th century engineers, was not particularly good on
the accounting side, and by the turn of the century
Wilson had left the business. After the company was
restructured with limited liability and the name was
changed to Vauxhall Iron Works Co Ltd in 1897, the
remaining board directors became interested in the
"horseless carriage" after the company had
constructed a petrol engined launch - one of the first in
In 1903 a 5 h.p. single cylinder car was offered to the public at a price of 130 guineas, and by 1904 76 cars had been sold. In order to expand the company, it was necessary to move out of London and a suitable site was acquired in Luton, Bedfordshire where the company moved in 1905.
In 1907 the company name was changed to Vauxhall Motors.
The Vauxhall car factory was taken over by General Motors in 1925. The factory was expanded and facilities for manufacturing trucks were made. The trucks made were named "Bedford" after the Bedfordshire County wherein the city of Luton and the factory were placed.
The development of existing models continued, and a new model - the 25/70 - with a 6-cylinder 3.9 liter engine was introduced in 1926, but only 50 were produced.
|Copyright © 1997 - 2013 Danish Army Vehicles Homepage|