Specific: Delivered to the
Danish Army 1967 the M151A1 was used as Liaison-, Scout-car and armed with TOW.
First batch was 600 units.
Along with the Willys M38A1, it superseded the Willys CJ2A, CJ3A and CJ3B. Now superseded by Mercedes
Historical: In 1950 the Continental Army Command
placed a requirement with the Ordnance Corps for a new
1/4 ton vehicle. Research and development began that year
at the Ordnance Tank-Automotive Command.
In March 1951 Ford Motor Company was awarded a
development contract for the new vehicle and the first
prototypes were completed in 1952. Further prototypes were produced in
1954. Approved for
production in summer 1959 with Ford being awarded a production contract in
Quantity production took place from March 1960 at Ford's
Highland Park Plant, using steel bodies by Fruehauf. The
production contract was lost to Willys in 1962. Willys
was taken over by Kaiser Corporation in 1963, and the
vehicles were renamed Kaiser-Jeep.
The M151A1 was produced from 1964 and in 1965 Ford got
the contract back. The A2-version was produced from 1970.
AM General was awarded a contract in 1971, and they
continued until production ceased in 1985.
A small-scale production was set up in 1988 to supply
vehicles to overseas costumers. At least 430.000 units
(all types) were produced from 1960 to 1988.
Introduced in more than 100 countries.
Length: 3.37 m (131 inches).
Width: 1.63 m (64 inches).
Height: 1.80 m (71 inches).
Weight: 1.610 kg (3.542 lb.).
Engine: Ordnance/Continental 4-cylinder, type L-142,
2.319 cm3 (141.5 cubic inches) displacement, liquid
Horsepower: 71 hp at 3.900 rpm.
Transmission: 4-speed gearbox.
Transfer case: Single-speed.
Electrical system: 24 volt, negative ground.
Tyres: 7.00 - 16.
without preparation: 0.53 m (21 inches).
with deep water fording kit: 1.52 m (60 inches).
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 65 liter (14 gallons).
Range: 250 km (156 miles).
Crew: 1 + 3.